We are very excited to welcome you to Advent Cal 2020! It’s the 1st day of December and behind the calendar’s first door this little star was waiting for you.
We hope you’ll have a lot of fun crocheting along with us until Christmas and can’t wait to see your makes!
*Please keep in mind that I really love what I’m doing and that’s why I’m putting a lot of effort and time to share this pattern for free. So, allow me to mention that this pattern is for personal use only and may not, in parts or in whole, be reproduced, sold, distributed or used for commercial purposes without authorization. You can sell the finished item, but please credit IwannaBeHara as the designer. You can share this pattern only with a link to this post.
Thank you for respecting my work!
Day 1 of #adventcal2020: Little Star
(You can find this pattern also on @iwannabehara)
– 100% Cotton yarn 125gr/50m (or any yarn you prefer) in 3 colors of your choice (color A for the body, color B and C for the hat). Also, a thread of black yarn for the eyes and the mouth, a thread of white yarn for the eyes and a thread of pink or rose yarn for the cheeks.
– Crochet hook for yarn you use. I used a 3mm hook.
– Tapestry needle
– Stitch marker or thread of yarn (whatever works for you) as we will work in continuous rounds (spiral)
– Soft toy stuffing
– Small bell, pompom or a bit of yarn for the hat (optional)
Finished size: approx. 9 cm | 3.50 in (without the hat) if worked with suggested yarn and hook.
Abbreviations (US terms)
– mr – magic ring
– sc – single crochet
– hdc – half double crochet
– sl st(s) – slip stitch(es)
– ch – chain
– bl – back loop
– fl – front loop
– inc – increase: work 2sc in same stitch
– dec – decrease: work 2sc together as 1; Tip: do this by putting your hook only through the fl of the stitches (invisible decrease).
– R – round
– […] x… – repeat instructions within  x … times
– (…) – total number of stitches in this rnd
– FO – fasten off
Main part (x2):
With color A
R1. 5sc in a mr
R2. [inc] x5 (10)
R3. [sc, inc] x5 (15)
R4. sc, inc, [2sc, inc] x4, sc (20)
R5. [3sc, inc] x5 (25)
R6. 2sc, inc, [4sc, inc] x4, 2sc (30)
R7. [5sc, inc] x5 (35)
R8. 3sc, inc, [6sc, inc] x4, 3sc (40)
R9. [7sc, inc] x5 (45)
– For part 1: FO and cut the yarn leaving a yarn tail, we will need it later to sew the little gap between the first and the last ray closed; take care not to hide it while stuffing.
– For part 2: Don’t FO and don’t cut the yarn; continue with the first ray.
To make the first ray, hold the 2 parts facing each other with their wrong sides. Put your hook through the next st of Part 2 and through the last st of Part 1 (see photo below). Join the 2 parts with a sc.
R1. Now continue by making 8sc on Part 2. Make your next sc in the 8th st of Part 1 (see photo below). Crochet 7sc more (towards the join) on Part 1 (16).
R3. [dec, 6sc] x2 (14)
R4. [dec, 5sc] x2 (12)
R5. [dec, 4sc] x2 (10)
R6. [dec, 3sc] x2 (8)
R7. [dec, 2sc] x2 (6)
FO leaving a long tail to close the remaining hole with the tapestry needle (put needle only through the front loops of the remaining 6 sts). Pull tightly and secure yarn end.
– For the next 4 rays, leave always a bit of yarn at the beginning. We will need it later to sew the little gap between the rays closed.
– Begin every ray first with a sc through both parts, then continue by repeating rounds 1-7 of the first ray.
– Stuff as you go. Don’t forget to stuff the star firmly before you begin with the last ray. Stuff the last ray as you go.
Start with color B
R1. 4sc in a mr
R2. [sc, inc] x2 (6)
R4. [2sc, inc] x2 (8)
R6. [3sc, inc] x2 (10)
R8. [4sc, inc] x2 (12)
R10. [5sc, inc] x2 (14)
R12. [6sc, inc] x2 (16)
R14. [7sc, inc] x2 (18)
R16. [8sc, inc] x2 (20)
R17. 20sc; change to color C
R18. [9sc, inc] x2 (22)
R19. in bl 22sc; sl st in next st, FO
R20. Attach color C in any fl of R18 (on the back side) and:
[sl st, ch1, hdc] in same st; make 21 more hdc
R21. 22 sl sts
FO and secure yarn ends.
With color A
R1. 5sc in a mr
R2. 5sc, sl st
FO leaving a long yarn tail for sewing.
– Sew the little gaps between the rays closed with the yarn tails you left at the beginning of each ray.
– Sew the nose onto the center of the face; sewing pins could be helpful.
– With black yarn embroider the eyes and the mouth on the face.
– With pink or rose yarn embroider the cheeks just below the eyes.
– Sew a small pompom or bell onto the top of the hat (optional).
– Sew the hat onto the ray (optional.)
– Add a piece of yarn onto the top of the hat or ray if you want to use it as an ornament.
I hope you have enjoyed making this little star!
I would love to see your creations, so please don’t forget to tag me @iwannabehara 😉
Don’t forget to use and follow #adventcal2020 to share your makes and see all the free crochet patterns.